You can pick and choose what you want to buy but here’s a list of ideas:
Fruits: bananas, apples, oranges, cantaloupe, winter melon, watermelon, grapes, strawberries, etc
Veggies: artichoke, asparagus, basil, beans, bell peppers, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cucumbers, eggplants, garlic, onion, peas, potatoes, pumpkin, squash, sweet potato, spinach, tomatoes
Fish: you can pick and choose what kind of fish works for you, but be careful of the mercury content; we (my dad and I) eat a lot of salmon and other fish from the Asian markets.
Grains: oatmeal/oats, quinoa, brown rice, barley
Nuts: almonds, cashews, walnuts, peanuts, pistachios, hazelnuts, pecans, brazelnuts
Dairy: milk/soymilk, eggs, yogurt, cheese
- Oatmeal - click here to see 11 ways to spice up your oatmeal
- Yogurt with granola and fruit
- Whole grain bread with nut butter spread and sliced bananas
- Breakfast burrito: cheese, tomatoes, beans, bell peppers, spinach
- What I eat: five cereals - red beans, green beans, black beans, white beans, soybeans, pumpkin mixed together; and occasionally I eat what I suggested above when I’m not at home
What you choose to put in your sandwich is up to you, but here’s an example of what you could put: eggs, tomatoes, spinach, bell peppers, and maybe some grilled chicken pieces
add some olives, cucumbers, pumpkin, peas, artichoke, chicken, etc. and add olive oil and vinegar; put anything you want in your salad
Brown rice orquinoa, vegetables, and maybe your choice of meat
- Home cooked meals:
Pack your lunch the day before so you’re not feeling rushed when you get up in the morning and you’re less likely to buy lunch/eat out.
- For more ideas, click here, here, and here.
- Look at the some of the lunch ideas.
- Cook a meal with some kind of grains (brown rice, quinoa, etc), vegetables (an article on best ways to cook vegetables), fish (an article on how to cook fish), and anything else you want.
- Trial mix
- Yogurt with fruit
- Fruits: apples, peaches, mangoes, etc.
- Nuts:almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc.
- Banana ice cream - click here for the recipe
- Sweet potato chips - click here for the recipe
I hope this helps you in some way whether it’s deciding on what to buy for the week or what to cook.